Find Your Place UK ltd

Residential Tenants

Flexible renting periods- Our initial contract is for 6 months, thereafter we manage the property on a monthly periodic basis meaning any time after 5 months all you have to do to leave is give us a one month written notice.

We work on a management basis, for most properties this means we will manage entire blocks which better equips us to deal with property and management issues.

We only deal with professional landlords.

We are more a management agency than a letting agency. What this means is that we are keen to maintain our tenancies long term and the only way of doing that is working productively with our tenants

It also means that we market our properties at reasonable rents to maintain maximum occupancy.

Clean and modern apartments and houses

Because we manage apartment blocks internal and external communal areas are maintained

We aim to respond to a repair issue within 24 hours and depending on the issue our aim is always to get it resolved as soon as possible.

All Deposits are protected with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

At the end of your tenancy we try our utmost to have your deposit returned to you within 14 days.

We are members of the Property Redress Scheme

Our new Website and App keeps you up to date with your account and pending works with a history of your payments.

Find Your Place aim to provide you with comfortable accommodation and peace of mind that you and your home are being looked after. We try our utmost to not just provide you with a property but to make you feel right at home. We want you to be happy, comfortable and know that you are in good hands.

We want you to enjoy your time with us and will endeavour to provide you with a good service. A good service is only possible when both parties are reasonable, work together and accommodate each other. It is a partnership and we can only be as good as you allow us to be to manage the property. Building a good working relationship is key and good communication essential.

When you first move into your property, we try our best to make sure the property is handed to you in full working condition. If you feel that something needs attention, please notify us immediately. You have seven days to let us know if there are any faults with the property, thereafter it becomes your responsibility. We would prefer if you told us in writing so that these can be documented in your folder.

If there is a problem in the property during your tenancy, please contact us at as soon as you can. The best way to do so is by the email you have been given. If you are not contacted within 24 hours please call in to make sure someone has received the email. We want you to know that works will be carried out in the earliest possible time. We aim to resolve the problems as soon as possible but do bear in mind that others might have more pressing issues that need to be dealt with first. Also you may be required to either be present or give us permission to enter your premises for the works to be carried out. We will try our utmost to provide you with a fast and friendly service and our ultimate aim will always be your satisfaction.

We are updating our system and hoping to introduce our APP soon which will help you report problems to us with pictures.

Rent is payable

  • a)   Monthly on the fifteenth of each month
  • b)   In advance (on the tenth), and
  • c)   By standing order.
  • Where there is more than one tenant, one (1) standing order for the full amount can only be accepted.

Five (5) weeks deposit is required (depending on the Landlords requirements and/or reference suitability). All payments must be received before signing of the tenancy agreement. If paying by cheque, keys cannot be handed over until it clears at our bank.

The rental period is from the 15th of the month to the 14th of the following month. If you are moving on any other date, a rent adjustment figure will be calculated and need to be paid before you can move into the property.

References are required and will be verified.

The referencing fee is non-refundable in the case of a withdrawal.

The referencing fee is valid for a maximum of seven (7) days only while reference checks are carried out and failure on behalf of the tenant to complete a tenancy within that time will result in the agency remarketing the property.

The minimum term for any tenancy is six (6) months. Any further tenancies will be periodic. A rent period is from the 15th of the month to the 14th of the following month.

Where we are not managing agents, your deposit and contact details will be passed on to your landlord and you will be given a contact reference.

We cannot ‘hold’ a property with a verbal agreement; a Holding deposit agreement form must be must be in effect to secure the property while references are checked.

Beware of any stipulations regarding the property, e.g. parking permits not allowed for certain properties, pets, smokers etc. Please make all queries before putting down a deposit as it cannot be refunded afterwards. Unless stated in the Holding Deposit fee agreement form, the property is being taken as seen at viewing.

Ensure that you are happy with the condition of the property and furnishings. If you want items added or removed please tell the agent before paying and signing Holding Deposit form, as some landlords may not wish to add or remove these items., if items are in the property they cannot be replaced later.

Remember once you sign the contract you are responsible for the property and its contents.

Any changes to the agreement after you move in will incur admin charges of £50

We advise that you notify the utility companies as soon as you move in and note the meter readings. We will send these details to the utility companies but sometimes they ask tenants to contact them personally.

There is one set of keys per person on the tenancy agreement. Any additional copies are chargeable. If you make your own copies you must notify us in writing and hand ALL sets in on termination of your agreement.. ONLY EVER hand keys in at our office or to a FYP agent.

Remember it is your responsibility to

  • a)   Insure your personal belongings as these are not covered by landlords insurance
  • b)   Let the council have your new details for council tax
  • c)   Have a valid TV license and
  • d)   Keep the gardens neat and tidy.

Deposits are refundable subject to the condition of the house and any rental arrears at the end of the tenancy. All deposits are protected as per the government requirements.

Deposits are refunded via cheque and may take upto 14 days from your moving out date.

When you move in an independent inventory company will carry out the inventory.

You will have the responsibility for allowing access to the Landlord (or FYP acting on their behalf) and/or his workmen with prior notice.

You will also be responsible for keeping the premises clean, changing light bulbs etc, keeping the sinks, shower and toilet clear and other such duties.

The tenancy can be terminated prematurely by giving one month written notice but this may be subject to the tenant having to pay the re-letting costs incurred by the Landlord if the agreement is terminated before a minimum period of six months (contract cannot be terminated within the first six months). These costs may include advertising costs, the period for when the property was vacant till re-let, agent fees and any other cost that arises due to termination. However, after the six-month period, a one-month notice is required only by the tenant while the Landlord is required to give a two month notice.

The One month notice is used to market the property during this period. Always make sure that you give the notice (only in writing will be accepted) and confirm receipt from the office. You agree to allow access for viewings during this last month.

Most tenants have some responsibilities regarding the upkeep of their homes. You should always look after the property as best you can and avoid causing damage to it or to your neighbours' property.

In general, landlords are responsible for repairs and maintenance of the exterior and the structure of the property, as well as the plumbing, wiring and central heating. They are also required to ensure that gas and electrical installations comply with safety standards.

As a tenant, you are responsible for:

  • Looking after internal decorations, furniture and equipment. This doesn't include 'fair wear and tear' – if the carpet becomes a little thin, it's fair wear and tear, but if you burn a hole in it, you will probably have to pay for the damage
  • Not using unsafe appliances
  • Reporting any repairs needed or other problems that you are aware of
  • Minor maintenance (such as checking smoke alarms are working, changing light bulbs, etc).
  • Repairing or replacing anything you've broken or damaged - keep receipts for this, in case there is any dispute at the end of your tenancy
  • Dealing with your rubbish properly
  • Sticking to any terms in your tenancy agreement regarding smoking, pets, parking, gardening etc
  • Heating the property adequately, particularly during winter to avoid frozen and burst pipes, and making sure it's kept well ventilated, to help avoid condensation and dampness.

The following will help you maintain the property and hence reduce the chances of you being liable for any maintenance work caused directly by your actions.

In the property

  • Never throw oil or food waste etc down the sink; this is the biggest cause of drain blockages.
  • Never flush condoms, cigarette butts, rubbish etc down the toilet.
  • When using the shower/bath try to keep the water spillage to a minimum as this can cause leakages.
  • Always make sure the flat/house is well ventilated, especially during winter to avoid damp. Never block air vents. When cooking, use the exhaust and/or open a window and cover pots when boiling water.
  • Always clean the oven regularly as over time grease etc becomes harder to remove and professional cleaners may have to be used if not maintained regularly.
  • All furniture is your responsibility so if you remove it outside the flat damages will still be your responsibility unless agreed beforehand (remember that the furniture must be returned to the original positions when vacating the flat!).
  • Buying sofa covers is recommended to avoid damage by accidental spillage.
  • Most dents in the walls and damages to paintwork are done while moving furniture around so be careful! Once again, bear in mind that furniture has to be returned to its original position on giving up the flat.
  • Check before putting up pictures etc on walls with the agency/Landlord. Damages may be charged for at the end of the tenancy.
  • Never make any alterations or additions to the property without prior written consent. Also don’t install satellite dishes, cable, telephones etc without prior written confirmation.
  • Always make sure the communal door is shut and never open the door for someone who claims to be visiting another flat in your block.
  • If a double lock is provided for the communal door, always keep the key with you. Always use the double lock after 11pm for your own safety and the safety of others (the intercom may not be operational as a result)
  • Please maintain the communal area in a good state and please do not leave your belongings outside in this area in an obstructive manner.
  • Keep your bikes outside or clean up the mess after them.
  • Any items left in communal areas are at your own risk.
  • Please do not tamper with communal lighting, meters etc.
  • Respect your neighbours right to quiet enjoyment of their property. Don’t play music too loud or turn the volume up on the TV so as to disturb others.
  • Use black rubbish bags when putting out your rubbish and never leave rubbish in communal areas as this could lead to a rodent build-up. Please phone the council to find out rubbish collection dates for your property.
  • Remember that your deposit is dependent on the state of the property when handed back, so it is in your best interest to maintain the property regularly and to keep it in a clean state. When you hand back the property make sure that you have thoroughly cleaned the oven, fridge/freezer, carpets, curtains (including net curtains and blinds) and all bathrooms in particular, as these are normally the main reason that a Landlord may demand professional cleaners. We have a cleaning checklist which you can use.

Other things to remember:

  • Never label your keys with the address of the property.
  • Please inform the office of any mail that is addressed to the property but does not belong to you.
  • Pick up your mail on a regular basis to avoid build up and loss.
  • Redirect your mail when leaving as post received after you leave will be returned to sender. If you leave us your forwarding address we will forward mail for two weeks only and are not responsible for any lost/misplaced post.

No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen. Coffee or red wine can get spilled on a cream carpet, a guest's child could accidentally draw on your curtains with a felt tip pen etc. You may have to pay to have things fixed or replaced – if you don't, your landlord could take the cost of the repairs out of your deposit.

To cover accidental damage, you should consider having tenants' contents insurance – this would not only cover your belongings, but also cover accidental damage to your landlord's possessions. Your landlord’s insurance policy will not cover your own possessions.

As tenant(s), you will be responsible for the safekeeping of the property and its contents and unless otherwise advised, you will be responsible for insuring the contents of the property and the safekeeping of your own valuables and effects. The landlord shall not be responsible for consequential damage (e.g. damage by ingress of water, loss of freezer contents etc.) and you should carry appropriate insurance if you wish to be covered against these risks.

Tenants are requested to bring any disrepair, damage or defect in the premises to the immediate attention of the agent.

You don't have to keep your home spotless, but you do have to maintain a normal standard of tidiness and cleanliness. It's your responsibility to carry out minor repairs and maintenance, for example:

  • Safely clearing away broken glass
  • Unblocking sink and toilet blockages
  • Changing light bulbs
  • Replacing accidentally broken items
  • Replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
  • In general, you should:
  • Stick to the conditions of your tenancy agreement
  • Not use any dangerous electrical or gas appliances in your home
  • Try not to damage anything that the landlord would have to fix
  • Allow us reasonable access to carry out regular maintenance checks of the property
  • Tell us as soon as possible if repairs are needed
  • If repairs are needed, allow us access to the property, time to find tradesmen and reasonable time to start the work, depending on whether the repair is emergency, urgent or routine (see below).
  • Your landlord is not required to fix any damage caused by you, anyone in your household, or any guests, whether the damage was caused accidentally or on purpose. If you don't fix any damage you cause during your tenancy, you may lose some or all of your tenancy deposit.
  • If you do need to fix damage that you've caused, let us know you're doing this, as we may want to check the repairs are being done correctly. You may be able to ask us to do the repairs and then you pay us for them.
  • Which repairs are urgent and which are routine?

Emergency Repairs

Emergency repairs to your home could include:

  • Total loss of water or electricity supply
  • Total loss of heating during cold weather
  • Gas leaks
  • If you have been burgled, and your doors or windows are no longer secure
  • Fire damage
  • Any electrical wiring or installation faults which are causing sparks or shocks.

Urgent Repairs

Repair problems which are urgent include:

  • Plumbing leaks
  • Central heating faults
  • Minor electrical faults
  • Roof leaks
  • Loose or detached banister or handrail on communal stairwell.

Routine repairs

Examples of non-emergency or routine repair problems include:

  • Dripping taps
  • Broken kitchen unit doors
  • Blocked drains or sinks.
  • Lost keys
  • Faulty or broken appliances such as vacuum cleaners or washing machines.
  • Please be patient when it comes to repair works as works are carried out on a first come first serve basis and sometimes you may have to wait your turn if our contractors are all busy. Also remember that some parts for equipment (e.g. washing machines/boilers etc) need to be ordered directly from the manufacturer and this may cause delay, which cannot be avoided. Apart from such circumstances, we shall always try to get someone out to assess the problem as soon as possible and to then rectify the problem. Please note that damage caused by misuse is the tenant(s) responsibility.
  • We will always give Emergency and urgent works more priority than routine repairs. We work with contractors and it has to be understood that contractors may be working on other jobs at the same time. Hence they will be unable to give an exact time as they may be dependent on another job finishing before they can move onto yours. Your reasonable patience is appreciated and required.
  • Which repairs can a landlord charge a tenant for?
  • As a tenant, you have to keep your rented home in a reasonable condition. However, changes and slight damage to things in your home can be caused by wear and tear, which takes place over a period of time through the normal everyday use of your home, and is to be expected.

  • Your landlord can't charge you, for example, for repainting of a flat if there has been no damage to the paintwork. However, your landlord can charge you for repairs for damage that is not normal wear and tear, such as cigarette burns or red wine stains
  • In the carpet, burn marks on kitchen surfaces, wall marks and holes where you hung up pictures.
  • When you move out, take some time to make sure your rented home is in the same (or better) condition than when you first moved in. Try to give it a really good clean, and check back on the inventory from when you moved in, to make sure everything is as it should be.
  • Your tenancy deposit is money that belongs to you and should be returned to you unless your landlord can show they have suffered a financial loss during your tenancy.
  • Your landlord can make reasonable deductions from the deposit for:
  • Damage to the property
  • Missing items
  • Cleaning
  • Unpaid rent.

Any maintenance problems should be reported immediately to our office. The Landlord undertakes to maintain the fabric and services of the building (water supply, drains etc.) As tenant(s) you are responsible for all appliances left in the property and in case of genuine breakdown (physical breakages or damage due to neglect or misuse excluded) the tenant shall be liable.

You may find that smoke detectors and similar safety devices have been fitted in your property. Where this is the case, please ensure that you check all such devices on moving into the property and familiarise yourself with their operation (most smoke detectors have a test button to check batteries and the unit are operating correctly) and report any problems to your agent. Thereafter, you should check the devices at regular intervals and be responsible for replacement of any batteries that they may require.

Damp and Condensation

  • Damp can be a problem in houses where there are many occupants and the property is not adequately ventilated. You should ensure that any extractor fans are left connected and are properly used. It is also important to open windows as often as necessary to encourage an adequate flow of fresh air through the property after bathing or showering in order to allow damp air a chance to escape. The hanging of washing and wet clothes will also create large amounts of damp air and again, it will be important to provide adequate ventilation in such circumstances.
  • The presence of mould or dark spots or stains (especially in bathrooms and other wet areas) is a common sign of inadequate ventilation, and it is important to prevent further spread at an early stage before severe and irreversible staining take place. Mould and similar stains should be removed by wiping the affected areas with a fungicide or mild bleach in accordance with the manufactures instructions (but do test on a small area first). If the problem persists, then you should inform us.

Why condensation occurs

  • Condensation occurs when warm moist air meets a cold surface. The risk of condensation therefore depends upon how moist the air is and how cold the surfaces of rooms are. Both of these depend to some extent on how a building is used. In a room with a cold outside wall, the temperature of which falls below the dew point temperature, it is quite normal for condensation to occur predominantly on the lower parts of the external walls and may be confused with rising damp.

When condensation occurs

  • Condensation occurs usually in winter, because the building structure is cold and because windows and opened less and the moist air cannot escape.

How can you prevent condensation in your home

  • Reduce moisture content of room air
  • Good ventilation of kitchens when washing or drying clothes or cooking is essential. If there is an electric extractor fan, use it when cooking, or washing clothes, and particularly whenever the windows show any sign of misting. Leave the fan on until misting has cleared.
  • If there is not an extractor fan, open the kitchen windows, but keep the door closed as much as possible.
  • After bathing, keep the bathroom window open, and shut the door for long enough to dry off the room.
  • In other rooms provide some ventilation. In old houses a lot of ventilation occurs through fireplace flues and draughty windows. In modern flats and houses sufficient ventilation does not occur unless a window or ventilator is open for a reasonable time each day and for nearly all the time a room is in use. Too much ventilation in cold weather is uncomfortable and wastes heat. All that is needed is a very slightly opened window or ventilator. Where there is a choice, open the upper part, such as top-hung window. About 10mm opening will usually be sufficient.
  • Do not use unventilated airing cupboards for clothes drying.
  • If washing is put to dry, for example, in a bathroom or kitchen, open a window or turn on the extractor fan enough to ventilate the room. Do not leave the door open or moist air will spread to other rooms where it may cause trouble.

Provide reasonable heating

  • Try to make sure that all rooms are at least partially heated. Condensation most often occurs in unheated bedrooms.
  • To prevent condensation, the heat has to keep room surfaces reasonably warm. It takes a long time for a cold building structure to warm up, so it is better to have a small amount of heat for a long period than a lot of heat for a short time.
  • Houses and flats left unoccupied and unheated during the day get very cold. Whenever possible, it is best to keep heating on, even if at a low level.
  • In houses, the rooms above a heated living room benefit to some extent from heat rising through the floor. In bungalows and in most flats this does not happen. Some rooms are especially cold because they have a lot of outside walls or lose heat through a roof as well as walls. Such rooms are most likely to have condensation and some heating is therefore necessary. Even in a well insulated house and with reasonable ventilation it is likely to necessary during cold weather to maintain all rooms at not less than 10°C in order to avoid condensation. When living rooms are in use their temperature should be raised to about 20°C.

Frost Damage

  • Frost damage is a risk to all houses left empty during the winter period (December to April months) due to possible pipe bursts and flooding. If you are away from the property for any longer than one day, then we request that you carry out the following procedures:
  • Turn off the mains water supply at the main stopcock and open loft access hatch (if provided).
  • OR - Leave heating on (if necessary, turn down to a low setting)


  • You will be informed (normally 1 week in advance) prior to inspections.

Television aerials

  • The tenant is responsible for the repair and maintenance of any television aerials, satellite dishes or similar installations for use with any television at the Property. You are also reminded that a television licence is required in order to use a television at the Property and Tenant would be responsible for this cost.


  • It is your responsibility to maintain the garden of the Property in a neat and tidy condition, keeping lawns cut, flower beds and borders free of weeds and generally cultivate the gardens in a reasonable manner and condition according to the season of the year.

Electric key / Gas card

  • Your electric key/gas card can be topped up at most petrol stations and convenience stores. Once topped up, simply insert key into the relevant meter and the amount will be registered and credited.
  • If a debt has been accrued you need to call the respective supplier i.e. British or EDF, and register your details with them, whereupon they will send out a technician to clear the debt.
  • Always keep your electric key and/or gas card in a safe place. Losing it takes a minimum of 5 days before a new one is received.